ENVIRONET Archives

February 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:37:54 +0200
David

I sympathise. We have the same problem here, but in a slightly different
way. About 2½ years ago, the government passed an act offering 55%
subsidies on capital cost and a 2 x buy-back price, compared with
purchase price, for all kWh generated, for solar systems. I expressed
immediate interest, because we have 320-340 days of sun/year. To date,
I'm still battling with the bureaucracy and my wife said, only this
morning over breakfast, that we should forget the whole thing because
there is no guarantee when (or if) we would be refunded for either the
capital cost or the electricity buy-back. I must admit, I'm fed up with
the whole affair, as the procrastination is ridiculous. The Electricity
Authority has approved my application, but the Ministry is constantly
sitting on it and has recently requested, for the fifth time, further
details. When (if) they give their approval, I then have to apply for
house-planning permission to install the panels on our south-facing
roof, which is invisible to everyone. Quite honestly, I don't think it's
possible now, this year. I'm 73 years old, and I'd probably never see my
investment amortised (estimated 8½ years with subsidy and buy-back), so
what the hell????????

It's also bad business for the companies offering it; at least three
have gone bankrupt because they have not been able to weather the
bureaucratic delays.

Brian