ENVIRONET Archives

February 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:33:29 EST
In a message dated 2/17/2005 7:09:59 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Brian  has spoken!

...and spoken well indeed.

One concern I have is that governments are likely to be more  a part of the
problem going forward than a part of any  solution. Excuse my cynicism but it
seems the lobbyists with the most  money get the legislation they desire.
Forced implementation of alternatives  will be delayed by governments until the
last possible moment (or until the  money stops flowing ;-)

Better for individuals, of even modest means, to take ownership  of the
problem in small ways than leave it to "fat cat"  run governments that have no
interest in scientific data and principles.  (lead-free being a small case in
point).

The individual can make a difference by casting their "vote" with  their
dollars (euros, yuan, yen, pounds, etc.) and make personal investment in  the
future by making conscious choices relative to energy and the environment  and
making the distinction between "wants" and "needs". (Brian has  offered a number
of excellent suggestions that the individual carry  out without government
involvement)

It is fairly clear that all who read this will end their race  before the
looming hurdle is met and we will likely live our  remaining years in relative
comfort and ease. However, if we  collectively continue to blindly follow the
present, largely self serving and  mindless course laid out by those who, (IMHO)
by and in large, lack vision,  courage and integrity, history will not look
kindly on us.

Enough "railing at the tide"... ;-)

Best wishes to all of our children's, children's, children
Joe

"The greatest mistake that one can make is to do nothing because one can
only do a little"
Author unknown