ENVIRONET Archives

November 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Karl Sauter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 12:32:46 -0800
Brian,

Not sure what you are refering to as my hypothesis.  The following site
shows how with increasing temperature, CO2 solubility is dimished;
http://www.kgs.ku.edu/PRS/publication/2003/ofr2003-33/P1-05.html

Karl

Brian Ellis wrote On 11/04/05 09:03,:
> What you are saying is that the annual 15 billion tonnes of CO2 that are
> spewing out of our chimneys and exhaust pipes, year in, year out, is for
> nought? PLEEEEEEZE! Nor the 6 billion tonnes that are not absorbed
> because of deforestation.
>
> Yes, the ocean surface waters contain 1000 billion tonnes of carbon,
> some in life forms, some in dissolved CO2, but the annual carbon
> emissions from the oceans are 90 billion tonnes, whereas the absorption
> by the oceans is 92 billion tonnes. In fact, the annual increase of
> carbon in the surface oceans is only 1 billion tonnes, because there are
> other interchanges into deep waters and, eventually into sedimentation.
> [figures from Sundquist, Trabalka, Bolin and Siegenthaler, IPCC 1990]
>
> Sorry, if your hypothesis were correct, we would be in a positive
> feedback cycle, snowballing into ever-increasing GHG emissions, causing
> more global climate change, causing more ocean heating... Hopefully, we
> are not there - yet.
>
> No, I'm sorry, it is you and I who are responsible, not some quirk of
> nature. This is now definite and no apologetics of bad science will
> diminish our responsibilty. Even GWB is admitting it!
>
> Brian
>
> Karl Sauter wrote:
>
>>Brian,
>>
>>Since the oceans contain a significant amount of carbon dioxide, and
>>will emit carbon dioxide when heated, how do we know that more direct
>>heating from the Sun is not causing the oceans to warm (generating most
>>of the carbon dioxide increase)?  Also ocean heating and carbon dioxide
>>levels to not seem to correlate well with anthropogenic carbon dioxide
>>production (http://www.uoguelph.ca/~rmckitri/research/trc.html).
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Karl Sauter
>>

>>Brian Ellis wrote On 11/04/05 00:05,:
>>

>>>You mean the Senate has some sense??? :-)
>>>
>>>Seriously, the crunch will lie in section (b)(1) which can be
>>>interpreted as business as usual and (b)(2) tell China that they have to
>>>implement strict measures so that they become less competitive.
>>>
>>>Maybe you can detect a tiny touch of cynicism.
>>>
>>>I have done some back-of-envelope calculations and I estimate that GHG
>>>emissions must be reduced by 55-60% just to maintain the status quo,
>>>i.e., not to add to the damage already done. At 60% reduction, there
>>>will even be a slight improvement over time, perhaps dropping from the
>>>current 390-400 ppm CO2 to 325-350 ppm in 300 years (the pre-industrial
>>>revolution figure was 280 ppm). The most rapid drop would be if we could
>>>reduce methane emissions, which accounts for ~15% of GHG emissions. This
>>>would mean drastically cutting down on natural gas, which, holistically,
>>>is the worst fossil fuel, although it is the least polluting fossil fuel
>>>in other ways.
>>>
>>>I posted the following in another forum. It may be of interest:
>>>
>>>[quote]... To put the church back to the middle of the village, please
> [...]

Karl Sauter             Staff Engineer, Engineering Technologies
                        Sun Microsystems Inc.
                        Office: (650) 786-7663 / x87663
                        E-mail: [log in to unmask]