ENVIRONET Archives

January 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 18:56:54 +0200
I've copied the following message from the LF forum (I tried to forward
it but it was rejected)

Brian

            Re: [LF] Matsushita Succeeds in Recycling Solder Residue
Using Sesame ...
       Date:
            Mon, 7 Jan 2002 16:06:16 +0100
      From:
            Karsten Schischke <[log in to unmask]>
        To:

Hi, Joe,
Hi, Dave,
my interest in abatement technology at ECS results from the following
experience:
A European secondary copper smelter told me, they would like to recycle
electronics scrap, but they are restricted (by their
plant permission) to a maximum organic content of 1% of their input due
to expected emissions of dioxins/furans.
State-of-the-art abatement technologies are able to avoid these
emissions, but it is not economically feasible to equip each
smelter with this technology. If they decide to process electronics
scrap in the future they will establish a new unit with a new
technology only dedicated for electronics scrap also to minimize the
costs for the abatement technology. By now they are
waiting for the European WEEE to be sure to have enough scrap in the
future.

I attach the Explanatory Memorandum of the European WEEE / RoHS
proposal. The memorandum doesn't refer to thermal
electronics recycling but describes the situation for waste
incineration:

"... Furthermore, the incineration of non-hazardous wastes has been
identified as the largest source of emissions of dioxins
and furans to air in Europe (Identification of Relevant Industrial
Sources of Dioxins and Furans in Europe, Landesumweltamt
Nordrhein-westfalen, 1997). The WEEE stream contributes significantly to
the heavy metals and halogenated substances
contained in the municipal waste stream. In addition, specific adverse
effects could occur during incineration due to the
variety of different substances found together in WEEE. Copper works
like a catalyst, thereby increasing the risk of formation
of dioxins when flame retardants are incinerated. This is of particular
concern as the incineration of brominated flame
retardants at a low temperature (600-800°C) may lead to the generation
of extremely toxic polybrominated disbenso dioxins
(PBDDs) and polybrominated disbenso furans (PBDFs) (U. Schacht, B. Gras,
S. Sievers: EPA Dioxin-Reassessment, edited
by O. Hutzinger, H. Fiedler). ... There is a large body of literature
that shows that polybrominated dibenzofurans and
dibenzo-p-dioxins can be formed from PBDEs and PBBs under certain
combustion/pyrolysis conditions. At temperatures of
about 300?C the dioxin formation is maximal. However, data from
municipal waste incinerators in the Netherlands did not
show any significant relationship between dioxin formation and the
bromine content of the waste. However, further research is
necessary in order to assess this issue. In particular, further
assessment should be carried out in order to assess the
threshold above which the content of halogenated substances would
influence the formation of dioxins. ..."

I admit, the scientific basis is weak, but that's the basis for
authorities to give or deny plant permissions - and recycling only
works with a proper permission.

The situation is confusing: Markus Stutz from Motorola (Stutz, M; Riess,
M; Tungare, A V; Hosseinpour, J; Waechter G;
Rottler H: Combustion of Halogen-free Printed Wiring Boards and Analysis
of Thermal Degradation Products, Electronics
Goes Green 2000+, Berlin, September 11-13, 2000) even found higher
dioxin/furan emissions for one specific halogen-free
PWB than for conventional FR4 (with very low dioxin/furan emissions for
halogenated FR4).

Best regards,

Karsten Schischke

Karsten Schischke
Berlin Center of Advanced Packaging
@ Technische Universität Berlin
TIB 4/2-1

BeCAP partner:
Fraunhofer Institut Zuverlässigkeit und Mikrointegration (IZM)

Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25
13355 Berlin
Germany
Fon: +49/ (0) 30 / 464 03 - 156