ENVIRONET Archives

May 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 10:15:34 +0300
The www.mineyourownbusiness.org site was down but I saw the trailer on
the www.thempi.org site. There is undoubtedly some truth in it, judging
by the trailer; I have never trusted the ecopoliticians like Greenpeace
(NOT environmentalists, Gordon!), which is specifically named, any more
than I trust other politicians. However, even in the trailer, there were
serious signs of vested interests which were confirmed when I learnt
that the film was financed by a Canadian mining conglomerate. Also, on
the same page, there was an obvious right-wing appraisal of the film in
a Fox News reportage on the film.

I can hardly believe this is "the first documentary to ask hard
questions of the environmental movement" (please read "ecopolitical
movement"). For example, I seem to remember a tough documentary
lambasting Greenpeace activities leading up to French Government
terrorism in the "Rainbow Warrior" affair in NZ and I'm sure there are
others on whaling and other issues. There was a short made for a Swiss
TV magazine about the events leading up to the severe physical attack of
a Valaisan politician who was proposing three flow-run hydroelectric
stations on the Rhône, by the WWF, if I remember correctly.

These ecopolitical NGOs do cause much harm with their extremist
activities; that is undeniable and is the reason I have never supported
any of them (except WWF in their very early days, when their mission was
to help nature by practical means, before they started to engage in
political activities. I stopped my subscription even long before the
Duke of Edinburgh withdrew his patronage for the same reason!). On the
other hand, they have been useful in whistle-blowing on some matters
that deserved public attention. Nor have I associated myself with any
right-wing anti-everything NGOs! In fact, I'm anti-extremists of any
colour. There is no room for politicians in these matters and I dislike
political or commercial propaganda, such as this film would appear to
be, judging from the trailer.

Brian