ENVIRONET Archives

February 2010

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:03:23 -0800
In feudal Europe, the kings, nobles, and Church owned all the land. The ordinary folks were forced into crowded, disease-ridden villages and towns. In the centuries after 1492, Europe's excess population moved to North America, many of them displaced by the Enclosure Movement in England and the analogous rationalization of agriculture everywhere else.  That is a process that everywhere accompanies industrialization's need for cheap labor.  So the displaced peasants swelled the populations of London and Paris, etc. Read Dickens. These cities became cesspools, like the favelas of Rio today.

But Europe was lucky. A vast virgin safety valve was waiting to absorb the excess population-- America.  When those former Europeans came to the New World, they had no intention of cooping themselves up in the crowded fashion of their forebears.  No, they were all going to live like Lords.  So they spread themselves

all over the countryside.

The result today is that due to accidents of history, Europe has green countrysides and the U.S. has sprawl.

But guess what, we are going to rebuild America.  Land values, rapid transit, real estate bubbles, in short, economics, make that inevitable.  Maybe we'll start by bulldozing Detroit.