ENVIRONET Archives

September 2008

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:18:37 +0300
Well, Joe, I don't know about you, but are we not all in the western
world (apart from a minority of have-nots) guilty of waste by
consumption? If I sip a dry sherry for my apéro while munching a couple
of macadamia nuts, am I not as guilty, albeit on a lesser scale, as
these hedonists? A TV could arguably be more wasteful and less
productive than some good books for entertainment. As an omnivore, could
I argue that the beef stew I had yesterday evening, followed by a
stupendously delicious locally-grown mango is wasteful?

My problem is where to draw the line and does the position of that line
change from person to person. The reductio ad absurdum is if we
deliberately lower our living style to that of the poorest in the world.
Then what would we do with our riches?

Finally, I'll ask you another question. I have a hybrid car, motive
being to reduce my carbon footprint. This car cost 30% more than a more
polluting cousin of equal size and performance. Is that 30% profligate
spending?

Brian