ENVIRONET Archives

July 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:23:43 +0300
Gordon

Thanks for this confirmation of what we have always said.

However, I do take issue on the question of recycling electrical waste.
I agree that if you take a populated PCB, the solder, gold and copper
are about all that can be recycled. The gold has been recycled since
goodness-knows-when (when I was making bare PCBs in the 1960s, we sold
all the gold-plated scrap). Solder is easy to recycle thermally and
copper chemically. But e-waste includes things like motors (I bust my
e-waste record this year as I had an irrigation pump weighing 8 kg to
chuck out!). Now please don't tell me that a) the copper in the windings
and the squirrel cage, b) the magnetic alloys in the stator and rotor,
c) the bronze in the impellor and d) the cast iron in the frame are
worthless. Only the enamel on the wire is un-recyclable. If I were to
chuck out a complete TV, monitor, computer or hi-fi system, you cammot
tell me that, at least, the thermoplastics and steel chasses are
economically un-recyclable. If you do, I say you are talking through a
hole unconnected to your brain.

As for the economics of WEEE recycling, it is break-even or positive in
Europe, so why isn't it in the USA?

Sustainability is a much over-used word, nowadays. I prefer to introduce
the notion of stewardship. Stewardship over our limited natural
resources. This includes all metal ores and, above all, fossil fuels. We
shall probably reach global peak oil in this decade (if we haven't
already arrived there; let's see the gasoline touch $5/gallon this
winter for this to hit home). As supplies diminish, so the need to
recycle plastics will become ever-more imperative, if the US public
wishes to continue its polluting and wasteful use of over-sized cars for
another year or two. But everything requires the use of oil: do you
really think the tin is mined and transported to your favourite solder
manufacturer and then to you, without consuming oil and other fossil
fuels, as you continue to sweat or freeze because of climate change. The
economics are a secondary consideration (the economy is one big lie,
anyway). The fact is that we must promote the notion of stewardship
which includes minimal usage of resources and maximal recycling, even if
  the latter **appears** uneconomical at this moment. Just saving 1 kg
of low grade mild steel from a computer chassis will prevent the
emissions of 3 kg of SO2 and 30 kg of CO2 to produce virgin steel.
Saving 1 kg of plastics will allow you to run a SUV for another 4 km.
And I don't buy the notion of using landfills as "ore": the cost in fuel
and resources for sorting to mine them would be prohibitive: much better
to cut down on them NOW by recycling the recyclable while we can.

You say we cannot afford to recycle: I say we cannot afford not to. So
please reconsider.

Brian

PS This should be removed to EnviroNet, to which I am cc-ing with your
original post.

--
Please note new e-mail address [log in to unmask]