ENVIRONET Archives

July 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:41:32 +0300
Yes and no! In theory, the author is right. Let's have a look at the
whys and wherefores. Bottled water started in Europe at the time when
piped water was being brought into houses. The article quotes Evian and
Perrier, but that is only a minute fraction of the European industry
with several hundred large manufacturers (Vichy, Contrexeville,
Apollinaris, Valser, Henniez, Aproz, Gerolsteiner, Voslauer, Volvic, San
Pellegrino etc. are ones that come immediately to mind). Did you know
there are 215 bottlers in France alone, 585 in Italy, 490 in Germany
(USA only 178) etc? The reason? Because piped water was initially
undrinkable because it was usually taken from rivers and lakes with no
purification, said sources also serving to receive sewage, whereas the
bottled waters were direct from springs and were bacteria-free. They
were therefore essential for health. Of course, tap water in Europe is
generally very safe now, but the tradition is maintained.
http://www.mineralwaters.org/index.php

I have stayed in over half of the contiguous States and I can say that
the water varies enormously. In Washington DC, for example, the tap
water is undoubtedly safe but is undrinkable because of the extreme
chlorination - and there are many other places likewise. That means the
water must be heated to drive off the chlorine before it is potable
(energy + CO2!!!). Much easier to open a PET bottle of water!

I question the credibility of the article with statements like, "In San
Francisco, the municipal water comes from inside Yosemite National Park.
It's so good the EPA doesn't require San Francisco to filter it." Only
one of the eight SF reservoirs (Hetch Hetchy) is in the Yosemite NP and
its water is treated with chloramine (more toxic than traditional
chlorine or UV irradiation). SF is also beginning to pump up ground
water at several sites, as well as use surface water.

Carbonated water is a different kettle of fish. My experience is that
the CO2 dominates the flavour and that the quantity of gas is the only
criterion of choice. In Europe, you can buy (with some makes), fully
carbonated (red cap), half carbonated (green cap) and non-carbonated
(blue cap) versions of the same water. I like the half-carbonated.

Personally, I have no objections to anyone buying ***locally produced***
bottled water, if that is their preference. I do it myself (the tap
water here isn't very palatable). I would never buy imported water,
though, if it can be helped.

Brian