ENVIRONET Archives

March 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:03:54 -0700
Dave Delman

The idea of a "tipping point" probably originated with Hegel, as follows:
In his book Science of Logic, Georg Friedrich Hegel remarked: “It is said
that there are no sudden changes in nature, and the common view has it
that when we speak of a growth or a destruction, we always imagine a
gradual growth or disappearance. Yet we have seen cases in which the
alteration of existence involves not only a transition from one proportion
to another, but also a transition, by a sudden leap, into a …
qualitatively different thing; an interruption of a gradual process,
differing qualitatively from the preceding, the former state”.

The example of liquid water turning into gaseous steam at 100C is often
cited, but the examples are everywhere to be found, in the physical world
and everywhere else including biology and human affairs.

Re the environment, those extra CO2 emissions from the additional tin
mining due to the RoHS ban on leaded solder may be the tipping point that
will lead to the inundation of Brussels and thereby sink the ban on lead
in solder.

Harvey Miller

Oh, by the way, if you look at the New Yorker, you will find Malcolm
Gladwell's byline under many excellent contributions.