ENVIRONET Archives

June 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:06:09 +0300
Gordon

See http://www.cypenv.org/Files/sequest.htm#Physical%20sequestration - a
subject I wrote about some time ago. You may also be interested in other
forms of sequestration on the same page. My guess is that if the UK is
seeking scientific knowledge, OK. If they are seeking a practical
solution, I fear that £40M would be better spent on providing better
health care for their citizens. In particular, I'd like to know how much
extra energy will need to generated to compress the vast volumes of flue
gas to the necessary 200-300 bar and then to cool it. Of course, if they
succeeded to do this on every fossil fuel power station in the UK and
the EROEI was favourable, it still would tackle only about 20-25% of the
UK's GHG emissions. The first thing that needs to be done is to stop
burning fossil fuels, as much as possible, especially natural gas ones:
see http://www.cypenv.org/world/Files/methane.htm

Best regards,

Brian

--
Please note new e-mail address [log in to unmask]