ENVIRONET Archives

November 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:21:53 -0800
Brian:

You say that "Nature is not a magazine but a respected scientific journal"
That may be the case, but how can it be worthy of respect when it prints a "news
communication" like this. Things do not happen in a vacuum. Nature and other
such "journals" know that the unsophisticated, popular media will grab stories
like this, create issues and manufacture crises that are picked up by
politicians and others who then make public policy, all based on nothing more
than speculation by people who call themselves scientists. Then we end up with
policies (such as "lead-free" as just one example) that are not based on science
and, ultimately, are detrimental to the environment.

But this article was not about opinion, it was not even about speculation. It's
pure scare mongering. The "scientists" admitted they had no facts ("... lacks
data on tropical forests ..." and "... unidentified or poorly studied plants
..." and "... no one's got around to checking if they qualify ..."). I am not a
scientist, I have never claimed to be, but is it good science to hypothesize
about things over which you have no facts? The only kind of science they seem to
be practicing is "political science".  One would think that scientists who are
speculating about some new idea or hypothesis that is so devoid of facts would
engage in less advocacy and avoid scare tactics. Nowhere in the article does it
say or imply that these scientists are offering up a hypothesis.

You also state "Readers are able to draw their own conclusions ..."
One would like to think so, but the gist of the article draws the conclusion for
the reader. There is not a single fact or data point in the entire article that
a careful reader could use to draw any kind of conclusion or form an opinion.
(Well, I do go too far. There is one fact that is very obvious. These scientists
want taxpayer money to do their research.)

Regarding the "precautionary principle" I am all for the precautionary
principle, I utilize it every day.  When driving when I come to the stop sign I
come to a full stop and make sure that it is safe to proceed before I hit the
accelerator. Before I drink milk directly from the carton I make sure my wife is
not in the room to see me.  I am sure we all employ the precautionary principle
in our daily lives, otherwise few of us would have survived to middle age.

But there needs to be a rational basis to the precautionary principle, otherwise
we would all still be hunter-gatherers, eating our meet uncooked and wearing
animal hides.  If the EU council of ministers existed one million years ago,
when man first learned to control fire, I am sure they would have banned fires
because of the precautionary principle.

Brian also says "If it is later shown that this was overkill, then the worst
that has happened is that we have wasted some money." Unfortunately, it is not
so simple or harmless as that. The illogical and irrational application of the
precautionary principle, in a very real sense, is leading to the suffering and
deaths of millions of people.

This in today's news, from the AP:

GENEVA -  The U.N. food agency is looking for a country to store thousands of
tons of genetically modified corn that has been rejected by the Zambian
government despite the country's deepening hunger crisis, a spokeswoman said
Tuesday.

"The authorities have officially asked us to remove from the country the food we
have stored there which could contain GMOs," or genetically modified organisms,
said Christiane Berthiaume, spokeswoman for the World Food Program.

The crisis, which threatens 14.4 million people in six southern African
countries, was blamed on poor weather and mismanagement in several of the
affected countries. An estimated 2.9 million Zambians, nearly 30 percent of the
population, are in danger of starvation in the coming months, officials say.

Zambian President Levy Mwanawasa has referred to the food as "poison," but the
United States, which donated it, argues that tens of millions of Americans eat
genetically modified corn every day with no ill effects. Several U.N. agencies
have declared the food safe.

*****"

Europe is banning GM fods because of the precautionary prinicple. It's one thing
for the rich nations of Europe to be so picky about what they eat, they have
alternatives. But not everyone is so lucky.

Even more startling is the irrational application of the precautionary principle
to the outright ban of DDT. According to all reports, since the ban on the use
of DDT for all applications the number of cases of malaria and the subsequent
deaths have skyrocketed. Malaria is responsible for about 500 million clinical
cases of disease and about 2.7 million deaths a year, mostly those of children
under five and pregnant women. In Sub-Saharan Africa alone, malaria destroys 70%
more years of life than do all cancers in all developed countries combined. See
attached. If more comprehensive data on the impact of the DDT ban on malaria is
needed I can provide it (its a big *.pdf file and I don't want to litter
everyone's mailboxes).

Chuck Dolci