ENVIRONET Archives

November 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
"Elliott, Sheri L" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Elliott, Sheri L
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:29:26 -0500
Joe -
As the daughter of a man who loves the obscure, I know that the Harvest Moon
is actually the moon closest to the autumnal equinox and was curious about
finding a link I could share to give the common names of the other moons. I
did find quite a few links naming the moons, but also stumbled upon a great
article giving the origin of the Blue Moon. The method for determining the
Blue moon actually falls to the Maine Farmers' Almanac. The following is
quoted from
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/moon/article_127_1.asp

"At last we have the " Maine rule" for Blue Moons: Seasonal Moon names are
assigned near the spring equinox in accordance with the ecclesiastical rules
for determining the dates of Easter and Lent. The beginnings of summer,
fall, and winter are determined by the dynamical mean Sun. When a season
contains four full Moons, the third is called a Blue Moon.

"Why is the third full Moon identified as the extra one in a season with
four? Because only then will the names of the other full Moons, such as the
Moon Before Yule and the Moon After Yule, fall at the proper times relative
to the solstices and equinoxes."

So now I know "the rest of the story."
I chuckle when I think of the obscurity that I "caught" from my father and
wonder what my children are "catching" from me.

Have a great weekend!

Sheri Elliott Harris