ENVIRONET Archives

April 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:06:02 +0300
"It is nearly impossible for us as humans in our everyday world to
imagine that > 1.8 average global degrees can lead to any devastation
anyplace."

Yes, I can imagine it. The annual average temp on this island has
increased by almost 1°C over the past 100 years. Concomitant with that
is a reduction of average rainfall by ~22%. We are now so desperately
short of water, we have to resort to desalination, which means burning
oil to provide the energy (potentially a positive feedback situation on
a minor scale). See http://www.cypenv.org/Files/climate_change.htm for
20th c. curves. Since 2000, we have had 3 winters of very bad rainfall,
1 of average, 2 of slightly above average. 2000 - 2007 averaged is ~385
mm which would bring the blue line lower than ever. Apart from the human
issue of water consumption, there are increased areas of barrenness on
the island and a wetland area a few km from us is drying out (looked at,
as I pass in the car, I would guess that half of the area covered by
reeds 8 years ago is now brown, with the reeds broken flat along the
ground, no vegetation).

Look at the Swiss Alps. At Saas Fee, for example, the glaciers have
retreated up the valley over 1 km (250 m altitude) in 35 years. There
are only ~2 km of 2 of the glaciers left, and these provide the Saastal
region with water, as the main source of the Saas river. The
hydroelectric dams filled to excess over the past years, but the
seasonal influx is dropping and it is estimated that the major dams will
no longer provide more than 80% of their former capacity in 20 years, if
the trend continues, simmply because there is less glacier ice to melt.

OK, these may be relatively extreme examples, but similar stories can be
heard world wide of loss of habitat, water shortages, loss of biotopes
etc. and that is with less than 1°C increase.

Yes, I can imagine it.

Brian