ENVIRONET Archives

November 2004

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:34:20 +0200
We have heard a lot about reaching Peak Oil, but other energy systems
may also be affected.

When I lived in Switzerland, I used to walk a lot in the mountains round
Saas Fee. I first went there in 1964 and the last time I was there was
in 1997. In those 33 years I observed two glaciers whose bottom had
risen by about 100 m in altitude. This was very remarkable in just one
generation.

I have seen photos taken in the late 19th c. where these two glaciers
were merged and reached almost to the edge of the village itself: today,
it's a good hour's walk to reach either.

You can see the progression in time by the vegetation on the moraines.
It takes about 20 years for the first larch saplings to become
implanted. It is clear, from the distribution/size of the larches that
the length of lateral moraine denuded in the last ~25 years is about the
same as that slowly denuded over the previous 75 years. This shows the
acceleration of the retreat of the glaciers.

An interesting point of this is that Switzerland is going to be hard
hit, as the Alpine glaciers melt. It is roughly 70% dependent on
high-mountain hydroelectric plants for electricity (the rest being
cheaper nuclear: there are no fossil fuel thermal power stations). The
retention lakes, such as Grande Dixence (the biggest), Rawyl, Grimsel
and many others, are filled in summer , mostly by the melt-off from
glaciers. In recent years, there has been no shortage of water in the
dams, despite 2003 being a very dry summer. I fear that, when the
glaciers have largely gone (variable from 10 to 100 years from now), the
HE retention lakes will no longer fill and, little-by-little, the
country will lack sufficient electricity. AFAIK, nothing has been done
to offset this prospective shortfall.