ENVIRONET Archives

April 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 09:32:15 -0500
Hi EnviroNetrs'

<Environmental Defense v. Duke Energy, the justices ordered a lower court to
reconsider a ruling favorable to power plant companies that polluted the
environment in upgrading their facilities. >

I haven't read the opinion, yet from other listenings the above isn't quite
accurate.  Continuing to polute at old historic levels and refusing to upgrade
to new technology is probably the real case.  One of the power plant issues
involves maintaining their facilities and repairing or replacing equipment. When
they have to do major fix ups the rules say they have to upgrade and go
through an approval process. When they just maintain they don't have to
upgrade. As you might guess the power companies maintain and add output
when they have the rules bend their way.

The report I heard on this awhile ago was that their improvements to things
like Mercury levels is going so slow that our children will be 100 before they
get to the target clean air values.

Yours in Engineering, Dave