ENVIRONET Archives

November 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:15:50 -0800
Let's not confuse politics with reality. Congress is not a scientific body.
In fact, during the Clinton Administration,  just BEFORE Clinton (or
rather his acting ambassador to the UN) signed the Kyoto Treaty, the US
Senate, in a vote of 99 to 0,  passed a resolution that it would NOT
ratify the Kyoto Treaty as it then was written.  Of course, Clinton
never submitted it to the Senate for ratification because he knew it
would be defeated overwhelmingly. So what, other than politics has
caused the Senate to change its mind?

I am put in mind of a line from the great movie "A Man For All Seasons"
Sir Thomas More says:
"There are some who believe the earth is flat, there are others who
believe the earth is round. It is a matter for question.
But if the world is flat, will the King's command make it round. And if
it is round will the King's command flatten it?"

Congress saying that something is so, doesn't make it a fact.

Chuck