ENVIRONET Archives

January 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 14:16:34 +0200
My thought for the day.

Many of us are involved in designing/manufacturing/using
battery-operated equipment.
In a few countries, batteries of all types are recycled. In some others,
only a few battery types are recycled. In many countries, they are
either landfilled or incinerated.

Under these circumstances, which battery type is the most
environmentally friendly? Do we have a duty to ensure that electronic
equipment has an absolute maximum battery life? Is this a sales argument
which can justify a potentially higher cost? What responsibility do we
bear to ensure that the used batteries that may be disposed of create
the least environmental damage? For example, is it better to use a
larger battery size (more pollutants but proportionally longer
lifetime)? Should we choose primary or secondary batteries, for
preference? What can we do to promote better battery recycling
throughout the world?

Brian