ENVIRONET Archives

July 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Hoffman Bill-ARES56 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Hoffman Bill-ARES56 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 14:55:49 -0500
OK so help me to understand the logic better.  This is where don't follow
the argument.  If 75% of silver today is a byproduct of mining other metals
why are the impacts being allocated as though it was the primary reason for
the mining and smelting. The silver is not being extracted from a silver
mine it is a zinc mine or a copper mine.  Isn't silver separated from the
copper during the electrowining of the copper?  In that case if we want the
copper the sulfate emissions from the silver will happen anyway.  The silver
is truly a byproduct.

If we get to the situation where lead, zinc, and copper ores are mined
primarily for the silver (the lead, zinc and copper being thrown away as
being worthless) then allocate all the impact to the silver.  I would agree
then that the impact from silver mining would be tremendous.

BTW from what I can tell eliminating the use of lead, even in car batteries,
will not stop the mining of lead.  Lead is found often with zinc and copper
ores. I suspect it would have to be separated and become mine waste.  I'm
not convinced either that eliminating lead is the best environmental choice.

Bill Hoffman

Motorola Advanced Technology Center
Environmental Technology Group

Phone: 847-576-7739