ENVIRONET Archives

March 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 03:43:07 -0600
Hi Steve, Brian, CA-Joe, EnviroNetrs,

<I began this thread because I happened upon the ISPM report after
listening to a radio talk show while driving home from work a few days
ago. The radio talk show was discussing global warming. The host said
that there are some opposing views about the cause, and said that there
are those that feel that it is not man caused, but may be a cycle that
our planet is going through. This intrigued me, because all I've been
hearing is CO2, fearing how man is destroying the planet, and at times
thinking that truely the end is near.>

Steve, A few comments

From my watching I agree that the USA's mass media has been mostly
focussed on CO2, following Al Gore, and doesn't really explore all sides of ANY
topic. It's a problem with our general USA media and how they follow others
and choose a "side".  Also it seems like the radio talk show people might be
newbies, particularly if they didn't give other than man made 1st World causes
e.g. Indonesia, Amazon forest harvesting, cows passing gas...

I went to a large public presentation recently on this topic at the U-Mass of
Lowell and left discouraged.  Al Gore even did a video cameo. Being heavily
Democratic the usual suspects were "known" to be the culprits. The culprits
are Oil, and the Republicans with the known solutions being Democrats and
more technology to create alternative energy, money and jobs. My summary
was narrow minded people still not understanding that this is a Global complex
problem requiring knowledge and action on many levels. BTW it was warm out

BTW, Don't fret about Brian, Gordon's comments. They have some potenially
valid points since the history of shenanigans they note usually repeats itself.

<I've pasted the conclusion of the paper which seems to say that global
warming may not be man caused, and might not necessarily be a bad thing.>

2 5 8 degrees warmer would be a bad thing, and globally significant.

It seemed to me that what you pasted spoke more to the problem with using
computer models to predict the future.

Cheers,

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave
Yours in Engineering, Dave