ENVIRONET Archives

April 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 23:08:58 -0500
Hi EnvironNetrs,

I was actually here to give Chuck some of that junk from the recent GOP
controlled Congress from that Oklahoma Senator, and former Committee
Chairman that has a vested interest in maintaining oil or at least forestalling a
challenge to oil via trashing any GW talk anyway he can.  He has been doing
this for years. Oklahoma is a great place and I have lived there when I was in
the US Military, yet every US state has it's vested interests. Economically for
OK I think he is short sighted yet his vested and controlling interests might
drive him to choose this position.

First one fun link to see what the LOC is doing.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/tracer-bullets/globalwarmingtb.html#intro

And then one so that Chuck and others can read some of Senator Inhofe's
junk.  Junk with truth, and a shell game (picking on the media, instead of the
topic at hand)  thrown in to give credit to the junk.

http://thomas.loc.gov/beta/billView.jsp?
&k2dockey=/prd/k2/congressional_record/xml/109/S25SE6/S25SE6-
0012.xml@cong_record&numHits=1&currDoc=1&currentPage=1&amp;109%3Cin%
3Econgress%29&congress=109

<warming scares during four separate and sometimes overlapping time periods.
From 1895 until the 1930s, the media peddled a coming ice age. From the late
1920s until the 1960s, they warned of global warming. From the 1950s until
the 1970s, they warned us again of a coming ice age. This makes modern
global warming the fourth estate's fourth attempt to promote opposing climate
change fears during the last 100 years--4 times during the last 100 years--
and every time just as hysterical as the time before.>

OK if I remember correctly this is true from what I have read, yet Inhofe is
talking about the general media and it's desire to create conflict to sell
interest and papers. Some of these articles were awfully darn short. And by
the way if we continued on our human path in some of these periods like the
50s to the 70s with coal as king, environmental chemical damage as a non
issue, the predictions might have come true in one way or another.

Hopefully when you do the above link you can find the following long
presentation by Senator InHofe

Congressional Record Issue: CLIMATE CHANGE -- (Senate - September 25,
2006)

He mingles truth and a direct attack on the 4th Estate, i.e. the general media.
In his attack on science he tends to bring out only one or two as support for
his argument. I do agree with him that the media is a hyping organization, yet
the politicians like him are NO better.

The problem I see is that he doesn't attack the future with the keener eye
and knowledge of today's science. He instead uses the past and past
testimonials to degrade today's climate science and modelling which has added
great value to our science.

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave
Yours in Engineering, Dave