ENVIRONET Archives

January 2002

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EnviroNet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:29:46 EST
Brian
My point was not to extoll any particular company nor its technology.  It was
to show an avenue for constructive effort  in conserving the earth's
resources and reducing environmental impacts.  (Those are goals not addressed
by lead-free solder.)

But since you chose to raise legitimate questions about Can-PULSE, I must
correct your criticisms of this particular implementation.  Their pulsing
technology is in the marketplace and has compiled a track record of success
in extending  battery life and in the automotive setting, all peripheral
components.  The heating issue was addressed by proper design of current
levels and pulsing frequency.  Information is available at <www.canadus.com>.

Lead-acid batteries are not only for "heavy duty" but should be considered
for many portable applications.  They are a great model for closed systems
with minimal environmental impact.

Only zinc-air is more benign.  You know that new developments enable them to
turn off.

I hope that Nicad and other batteries that use dangerous substances will be
replaced.

Harvey Miller