ENVIRONET Archives

July 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2006 10:16:37 +0300
http://news.mongabay.com/2006/0629-nasa.html

This is, indeed, bad news.

Worse still, our industry is not helping. We are using increasing
quantities of n-propyl bromide (nPB, 1-bromopropane) based solvents. nPB
is ozone-depleting but is not controlled under the Montreal Protocol,
through a technical loophole. The consumption increased by 25% in Japan
between 2002 and 2004 and similar increases are reflected in some other
countries, notably China and the USA. Exact figures are impossible to
obtain because reporting is not mandatory.

I make an urgent request that, where possible, nPB (which is also a
neurotoxin and can affect reproduction through reduced sperm motility
and count) be eliminated from production processes and replaced by more
benign solvents for cleaning, coating and water displacement. If not
possible, then every effort should be made to reduce emissions as much
as possible and then to take measures to capture the remaining emissions.

Brian
--
http://www.cypenv.org Cyprus environment/energy
http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv World environment/energy