ENVIRONET Archives

March 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:09:48 +0200
Firstly, let me quote the last sentence of the ES:
"Consequently, there will remain an unavoidable element of uncertainty
as to the extent that humans are contributing to future climate change,
and indeed whether or not such change is a good or bad thing."

The IPCC report allows "an unavoidable element of uncertainty" by
equating "very likely" to a 90 percentile probability. Furthermore, it
quotes the ranges of different scenarios. It is therefore "very likely"
than a part of the climate change, but not all of it, is anthropogenic.
This is therefore not contradictory.

Whether or not it is a good or bad thing depends on where you are. It is
very personal and such a statement has NO place in what is purported to
be a purely scientific assessment. When I see emotional interpretations,
then credibility flies out the window.

Then, when I see "Our work is financed by tax-deductible contributions
from thousands of individuals, organizations, and foundations." without
names, I think of Exxon-Mobil, Shell, BP, Total and their offshoots etc.
as being possible major contributors. Who bites the hand that feeds
them? Compare this with
http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/story/0,,2004399,00.html

Yes, there are still many naysayers. I await, with impatience, the full
IPCC scientific report which, hopefully, will be published next month.
Until that comes out, we have no yardstick by which to measure the
veracity of the modelling (and neither have the writers of this report,
which is based essentially on a 20 page summary, not the ~500 pages of
the full report).

Finally, whether climate change is partially anthropogenic or not - and
I believe it is from all the evidence I have seen - there is an even
more compelling reason to cut down on using fossil fuels: public health.
I'm sure I've touched on this before, but see here
http://www.cypenv.org/worldenv/files/climate_change.htm#Public%20health
if you wish to know more.

Brian