ENVIRONET Archives

December 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Dec 2005 15:16:04 +0200
Phil, David, Joe and Brian,

Thank you all for your observations.

Human greed is, indeed, a problem. There was a guy wandering about what
is now Israel, almost 2000 years ago, who taught Jews, Samaritans,
Pharisees and so on that greed was not the best way. Some of the people
agreed with him, even after he was murdered cruelly because of his views
and history records numerous cases of generosity by followers of his
teachings. What worries me most about it is that many or most of the
greediest people in either political or industrial power today claim
also to follow his example, the most powerful amongst them even stating
he is a born-again Christian. Yet, if I read his Sermon on the Mount in
Matthew and other teachings, I cannot reconcile this guy's born-again
greedy Christianity with what the Master he is supposed to be following
taught. Nor, for that matter, the greed and lack of Christian love of
the established churches. Personally, I am not a religious person; but I
never say there is no God, in case He hears me. In reality, I do not
deny spirituality and I am a lapsed Presbyterian church-goer (mainly
because of the church's materialism. I do not really believe in the
divinity of Jesus, but I accept wholeheartedly that his teachings were
for the good of mankind and are as valid today as they were about 1975
years ago, as an extension of the basic OT teachings by other men. What
he taught has been so distorted, today, as to be societally
unrecognisable. Until we realise this and we all lead our lives as Jesus
et al. taught us, whether we believe in his divinity and/or God or not,
I'm afraid greedy materialism will predominate. That is why I called my
credo a Utopian dream.

David has obviously been rare amongst us to put into practice much of
what I have been preaching, even before I put it into words and I
congratulate him for his groundbreaking approach. However, I think I do
detect a somewhat doomsaying suggestion in his sayings that total
anarchy will break out as energy becomes scarcer. This could happen but
it will not be necessary if we take action now. If we wait until it is
too late, then the "haves" will almost certainly become at the mercy of
the "have-nots" (and I don't necessarily mean $$$ in the bank, because
money may become worthless). We don't have to go very far back in
history to find examples. And dare I suggest that if this anarchy does
break out, it will start in the USA?

Joe has some very interesting ideas but I fear that they are more out of
my self-imposed environmental/energy purview. Whereas I agree that the
world's population is more than we can sustain without "artificial"
energy, I have no suggestions as to how it can be controlled without
thoughts of Hitlerian dogma or, at the least, large numbers suffering
from increasing amounts of malnutrition and general misery. I agree with
him wholeheartedly that armed conflict abolition would be a wonderful
ideal (just think that if all the money ploughed into armaments
manufacture and research was consecrated into ways of alleviating
illness or growing food for the world's starving, would not this world
be a better place? However, that goes far beyond my Utopian dream into
something approaching Paradise).

Brian, I agree with you generally, but I disagree with you about trees
being used for sequestration: it would be FAR worse than you or Duke
University suggest. I think that very few have thought about the
enormity of sequestration. We are pumping an extra 7 billion tonnes of
carbon into the atmosphere each year, just to make us happy with our
SUVs, gas burners, coal power stations and what have you? Just to break
even for a few years during the rapid growth period of trees, we would
have to plant enough trees to produce, say, 20 billion tonnes of wood.
This is equivalent to 3¼ million General Sherman trees per year and just
imagine - if you can - the area of land necessary to grow that amount of
young wood. Actually, it is worse than this because leaf/needle rotting
will release some of its carbon as CH4 and not CO2, much worse as a GHG.
Then, when we re-use the wood as biofuel, bingo, we release all the
sequestered anthropogenic carbon again and we are back to square 1. See
  http://www.cypenv.org/Files/sequest.htm.

I have two requests to make of you guys. 1) Please feel free to
propagate my credo or, preferably, its URL amongst as many as you like,
including politicians, industry leaders and so on. 2) Please feel free
to discuss these matters on
http://www.cypenv.org/smf/index.php?board=21.0. So far, in this holiday
period, some 200 persons have viewed my credo but only one person has
profited to comment on it on the same website (actually an interesting
comment).

Thanks for making your thoughts known to me - I appreciate it.

Happy New Year to you all.

Brian

--
Please note new e-mail address [log in to unmask]