ENVIRONET Archives

March 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:23:59 -0600
Hi Brian, EnviroNetrs,

Still haven't found the article on organisms in the upper (not sub) ocean that
may have been involved with a huge previous Global Warming spell, YET I
found this one that I thought my interest you since you are an expert on
Ozone.  You might already have it. For others it should be interesting to see
some of the science involved.

http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2005ESP/finalprogram/abstract_88582.htm

<The spores and pollen of terrestrial land plants can increase their investment
in UV-B screening pigments when exposed to elevated levels of UV-B radiation.
Here, we report an increase in UV-B protecting pigments from a historical
record of the spores of Lycopodium magellanicum growing in South Georgia and
exposed to a progressive thinning of stratospheric ozone and a corresponding
increase in UV-B radiation. Our data records a strong three fold linear increase
in the concentration of UV-B protecting pigments in response to a 14%
thinning of the ozone column. Our results were obtained using micro FT-IR
analysis of sporopollenin, which is readily preserved in the fossil record.
Therefore, this newly identified response offers a potential tool for
investigating natural changes in the stratospheric ozone layer and UV-B flux
over geological time.

We are initially targeting the Permo-Triassic boundary for further investigation,
as recent work has suggested a global collapse in the stratospheric ozone due
to the emplacement of the Siberian Traps. This hypothesis can now be
thoroughly tested using a combined approach, involving the examination of
extant plants subjected to experimentally manipulated UV-B radiation, the
geochemical study of fossil spores and pollen and the long-term modelling of
stratospheric ozone.

Earth System Processes 2 (8-11 August 2005)

YiEngr, MA/NY DDave
Yours in Engineering, Dave