ENVIRONET Archives

February 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:12:37 +0200
I've been following the Peak Oil (PO) arguments for about a year, now.
I'm sorry, but I do believe Climate Change (CC) is the #1 long-term
threat. The PO protagonists are mostly extremist-style activists who
prognosticate that the world will drop into total anarchy within the
next few years. OK, the facts, as I see it:

1. At our present rate of consumption, there is enough oil from known
and proven reserves for at least 50 years.

2. At our present rate of consumption, there is enough natural gas from
known and proven reserves for at least 100 years.

3. At our present rate of consumption, there is enough coal from known
and proven reserves for at least 300 years.

4. We are hitting a ceiling on the rate of extraction of oil within the
next 5 - 10 years because, as the easy-to-extract oil is depleted, so we
have to use more difficult-to-extract sources with lower flow rates. The
price of oil will increase, foreseeably to $100/bbl within a couple of
years or so.

5. The increased price will force swingeing increases in energy costs
which will make alternative sources more interesting.

6. If we burn all the reserves in 1, 2 and 3 above, bearing in mind the
residence time of CO2 is 300 years, the CO2 loading in the atmosphere
will increase from about 360 ppm today (from 280 ppm 150 years ago) to
over 500 ppm, which is estimated to cause a global temperature increase
of 5° - 10°C. This is a dire threat to millions of people, but it is
impossible to predict the results.

7. As oil becomes more costly, there will be a tendency to swing towards
increased use of NG and coal. NG is less potent a CO2 generator, but it
is estimated that 5% of all the gas that is extracted is emitted through
infrastructure leaks and venting etc. As CH4 is ~35 times more powerful
as a GHG than CO2, increased use will be negative, not positive. Coal,
is, of course, the most carbonaceous of all fossil fuels (and the dirtiest).

8. I conclude, at this point, that we must reduce the use of ALL fossil
fuels ASAP. In this way, we shall also extend the longevity of our known
reserves, so that future generations may also profit from them, and thus
delay PO, PNG and PC. This will make the impact of these phenomena less
important.

9. As an aside, sequestration of GHGs is a pipe-dream (see
http://www.cypenv.org/Files/sequest.htm )

10. What can we use for fuels to replace fossil fuels without dropping
our style of life significantly, using proven technology?

11. Transport. Scrap all gas guzzlers, SUVs etc. by decree. Replace them
with cars like the Prius, which has a fraction of the consumption,
especially for urban use. Scrap all aircraft flights of <1000 km. Use
high-speed trains for passenger and goods transport. Remove trucks from
the road for all distances of >150 km in areas served by high-speed trains.

12. Electricity. Use fixed renewables (e.g., wide-range tide, biomass
and trash combustion/gasification) to a maximum. Use variable renewables
(wind, solar, wave) up to 20% of peak demand (limit of grid stability).
Use nuclear for the rest. (We have the technology of several centuries
of uranium and thorium reserves.)

13. Housing. Make excellent insulation mandatory in all buildings to
reduce heating and aircon requirements. Domestic heating should be
uniquely electric from nuclear/renewable sources.

14. Energy conservation. This is an essential part of 21st c. life.
Tungsten lamps should be declared illegal etc. Anyone found using
extraordinary amounts of energy should be sanctioned.

15. Research. Government funding for all of the above should be of
primary importance.

16. Countries not conforming to the Kyoto Protocol (which entered into
force yesterday), its future amendments and other such international
measures should have severe trade sanctions imposed on them.

Brian has spoken!