ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:35:52 +0300
Obviously, I haven't time to study this in detail, but the whole thing
is obviously biased. I laughed out loud when I saw some of their
assumptions which favour US built cars over non-US ones.

When I bought my hybrid (Honda Civic - I'll abbreviate this to HCH), I
was perfectly aware that the overall cost per km would be higher than
had I bought a conventional Civic. It doesn't require a degree in maths
to work that out. My motive was to reduce my carbon footprint.

Now, these geniuses claim that the HCH has a lifetime of 113000 miles
(180,000 km). My car has an overall guarantee of 7 years or 150,000 km
and the drive train/battery 8 years/180,000 km. Very strange that the
guarantee for the essential parts should be exactly equal to what these
guys say is the overall lifetime, isn't it? I also question how they
estimate the years of service which miraculously favour US cars.

Then they claim that all hybrids are more economic in urban driving than
on the highway. This is true of the Prius, which has a unique drive
train system that favours urban use. It is definitely NOT true of the
HCH, which has a totally different concept. My measured highway
consumption is 4.9-5.2 l/100 km and my urban consumption is 5.8-6.0
l/100 km (on one occasion in totally gridlocked traffic, it rose to 6.2,
where a Prius would be close to 0 l/100 km under the same conditions).

Another ridiculous statement was that hybrids are all made of
lightweight materials. If that is so, why does the HCH weigh (unladen
and empty) 1352 kg? The battery weighs 28 kg and the electric motor
about the same, but the 1.35 l engine is lighter than the 1.8 l engine
of the conventional HC; in fact, the HCH and HC weigh the same to within
20 kg. Now, my previous car was a Honda CR-V, a 4-WD half-roader.
Despite the extra weight of the 4-WD transmission, this car, larger in
all 3 dimensions, especially height, weighs only 1240 kg. Where are
these famous lightweight materials, then? In the imagination of the
authors of this report.

The next claim is that the HCH costs 142.52% of the cost price in
maintenance charges, when all parts and labour are guaranteed over what
they consider about its lifetime. That sounds a helluva lot to pay for
consumables like oil, oil filters, windscreen washer fluid etc. (tyres
are calculated separately).

Accident repair: the HCH costs $2,000 more to repair an accident than
the HC ($9439.12 and $7366.47, resp.), even though the bodies of the
cars are identical. In any case, my total costs for accident repairs
over the past 20 years is exactly zero, so how do they calculate it down
to the nearest 12 cents? Most accident repairs are little more than
fender benders and scrapes. The essential organs of a car are relatively
rarely damaged, and decreasing all the time as safety is improved.

Anyway, it is evident that this report has zero credibility from just
these few examples. The best part is Appendix UU. At the best, estimates
of various costs are so variable, that it's just plain stupid to
calculate the costs to the cent for each item and I don't believe that
they have access to some of the costs they claim. I believe they may
have a big hat from which they pull their numbers. Or, rather, different
hats for US cars, foreign cars and hybrids, to make it easier to fudge
their numbers.

Warning: the figures, even if they were accurate, apply only to the USA
and not to the rest of the world. We pay a lot more for fuel, for
example, than the USA and we have much higher degrees of recycling, so
it's a totally different ballpark. Even so, the hybrid car does not pay
for itself in ¤¤¤ costs, compared with conventional equivalent cars, but
what is money? I am sure that they do pay for themselves in CO2 costs
and I, for one, am willing to pay the extra for that benefit.

Brian