ENVIRONET Archives

February 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Charles Dolci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:09:53 -0800
David:
Interesting ...
Just curious though. How much space do these things take up?
I know the common figure for solar energy striking the earth at sea
level is about 1000 watts per sq. meter.  Most current, affordable
photovoltaics are at about 12 - 14% efficiency, tops (although a
subsidiary of Cypress Semi issued a press release last year saying they
had developed a cell that "approached 17% efficiency" - but they didn't
put any pricing data in the release).
Of course, that is under optimum conditions. But let's be generous and
assume 16% efficiency, so that means you need 37 sq. meters or 403.6 sq.
feet of space to generate 6kw.
One company
(http://www.wattsun.com/products/wattsun_trackers/Wattsun_Tracker_Price_Sheet.html)
actually selling systems has a 300 watt system (11.48% efficiency)  that
takes up 26 sq. feet. so to get 6kw  means you need about 520 sq. ft.

Is the power output DC or is it converted to AC?  I am no expert but
isn't there a 10-15% loss of energy during conversion?
Of course, these are theoretical numbers. Are you able to orient the
cells to enjoy maximum efficiency?  Do dust and dirt affect efficiency?
 Is there a tracking system that moves the cell panels to keep them
oriented to the sun or do you lose efficiency as the sun "travels"
across the sky? If these cells are located on your roof does house
orientation and roof pitch affect efficiency?

Not that it matters since it is your property, but what do your
neighbors say about the solar cells? Are they on the roof or are they
free standing in your back yard? Does shade from trees or adjoining
structures impact output?  These may work in Arizona, but will they work
in Minnesota?

I suspect that photovoltaics are not yet cost effective otherwise
taxpayers and ratepayers would not be asked to pick up part of the cost.

Just curious.

Chuck Dolci