ENVIRONET Archives

April 2005

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 18:30:44 -0700
I found the following on www.prudentbear.com. It is an expression of how higher oil prices
have an economic policy role in finding needed new holders for dollar reserves and
devaluing our deficits.  Other results of higher oil prices: 1. Elasticity of demand will
lead to lower consumption of oil products - nothing like higher prices to force more
efficient energy usage, 2. the politics favoring Alaskan drilling will become
insurmountable.

Harvey Miller

Fabfile Online

      Guest Commentary, by Richard Benson

      America's tribute

      April 6, 2005

       Richard Benson is president of Specialty Finance Group, LLC , offering diversified
investment banking services.

      The Asians remain shocked and in disbelief.  Just when Japan, China, Taiwan and Hong
Kong had accumulated enough dollars to buy oil to keep them warm for many winters, it's
all over.  In broad daylight, the Americans and OPEC cheered as the price of oil popped up
from $30 a barrel to over $50 a barrel. Indeed, this jump in the price of oil increases
the world's daily oil consumption bill of 84 million barrels a day to $4.2 billion, from
$2.5 billion (or $1.5 Trillion a year from $900 billion).  The world now has to shell out
an additional $600 billion a year of "lucky bucks" to the oil producing countries just to
stay in motion.  That's quite a tribute to pay!

      The bigger shock, however, is in the devaluation of dollar holdings of United States
' Treasury debt.  The rise in oil prices guarantees that the value of the dollar will be
pushed down even further and stay down!  Now that China is the number 2 oil importer and
Japan is number 3 - with the rest of Asia very thirsty for oil as well - you can
understand why the Asians must find a way to protect themselves.

      The American strategy for using oil to finance our deficit is, of course, brilliant.
Our elected officials knew that at some point those independent foreign central banks
would start getting edgy about buying more dollars to pay for America's war and deficits.
(The $650 Billion trade deficit is threatening the dollar.)  So, which central banks can
America continue to use as the fall guys to buy the dollar?  Why not the Gulf Oil states,
but where would they get the dollars to buy U.S. Treasuries?  Well, with the Chinese
piling up dollars and growing like crazy, at some point the oil market had to tighten.  It
was only a matter of time before the Chinese would start bidding up the price of oil.
The Asians, therefore, are hung out to dry when the price of oil rises because they have
to spend more of their dollars on oil.

      As the price of oil goes up, extra money floods into the Gulf Oil Kingdoms.   With
our Secretary of Defense putting troops all over the ground in the Middle East, and those
nimble aircraft carriers are near by and ready to deliver the "shock and awe of  sudden
democracy" to the Gulf Monarchs, it's a sure bet that America's OPEC buddies will stash
their newly found Asian lucky bucks into good old American Treasury Notes.

      With such a simple policy to fund our deficit for another year, it's no wonder
America can get by without any brain power at the Treasury Department.  In effect, America
and our Gulf Arab allies just pulled off the biggest central bank heist in the history of
the world.  The price of oil just went up 60 percent or more, which really cuts down to
size those $3.4 trillion of net foreign holdings of U.S. financial assets. As a loyal
American, we would like to cheer our government's deft move to pick the pockets of our
trading and financing partners.  Moreover, America gets the Arabs to fund a large share of
our deficit, subsidize our interest rates, and help keep our taxes low for another year!
Surely, I can afford to buy another gas-guzzling Sport Ute, get a rifle, and wave a flag!

      America is extracting Tribute on oil from the world. If the world wants Middle
Eastern oil, they can pay for it through the Saudi branch of the United States Treasury.
Why do the heads of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Qatar, etc., hold dollars?
Because they want to keep the money and the power!   (The ruling family of Saudi Arabia
controls 25 percent of the world oil reserves and is completely dependent on oil revenues
for its survival.  Tens of thousands of Saudi princes live off lavish royal stipends).
Think of Arabia as a family firm. If the dollar goes down in value, the Saudi Royal Family
still gets to personally keep hundreds of billions of dollars.  But, if they don't buy
dollars, why would America keep them in power?   It would simply not be in our interests
to do so.  Remember when Saddam Hussein talked about pricing Iraq's oil in Euros?  "Shock
and Awe" quietly followed.

      This program of oil for dollars and dollars for the U.S. Treasury deficit is the
simple tribute that we, as the Super Power, can expect.  America is well paid for keeping
the world's supply of "black gold" safe and available to all. Unlike Vietnam - when
America was trying to finance guns and butter - getting others to pay now for our guns,
allows us to milk the oil out of the sand and turn it into butter!

      The next question will be how the Asians respond to a 60 percent hike in the price
of oil?  Please, stay tuned.