ENVIRONET Archives

March 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:20:12 +0300
When I saw AG on his lift, I was praying that THAT was the tipping
point! :-) Wonder whether it's anything to do with Tipper!

The problem is that IF a massive positive feedback phenomenon occurs,
the notion of a tipping point cannot be excluded. We know of several
positive (and negative) feedback mechanisms but none of them, so far,
seem likely to go beyond the path of no return. The permafrost release
of methane clathrates may be the one that MAY present a higher risk in
the relatively short term (say, 20-50 years), but the best modelling
(albeit still primitive and incomplete) does not seem to deem it likely.
What may be more risky in the long term - and no modelling has been done
AFAIK - is the melting of submarine clathrates (CO2 and CH4) - in the
next centuries as the lower sea levels warm. This is speculation on my
part but the quantities of GHGs there are really phenomenal.

I suspect the term was used initially by the likes of Greenpeace, FoE,
WWF and other extremist ecopolitical NGOs as part of their scare tactics.

Brian