ENVIRONET Archives

November 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:49:04 +0200
Gordon

I sincerely hope that the article is based on fact and is not just
wishful thinking. If someone can produce adequate quantities of reliable
PV panels at 1/10th the cost of existing ones, with a similar lifetime,
then this will, indeed, be revolutionary. However, please excuse me if I
temper this hope with a modicum of scepticism. Why? Well, if you look at
  http://www.globalsolar.com/sheet/SL_25_Spec_Sheet.pdf, this advertises
a 25 W panel of 0.57 m2 or, extrapolating, 43.6 W/m2. This compares with
a typical 150 W/m2 for "conventional" PV cells. And what are these cells
made from? Copper indium gallium diselenide! Where are we going to get
all the indium, gallium and selenium to power the world? Apart from
this, selenides are extremely toxic, so this would offer another
inhibitory factor. Yet the article cites "thin-skin photovoltaics don’t
depend on finite supplies of polysilicon": true, but I venture to
suggest that silicon, in any form, is a helluva sight more abundant and
easily obtained than the mentioned elements, albeit that the wafers used
in PV panels are a lot thicker than the CIGS used in "thin-skin" ones.

Let's hope my scepticism is ill-founded!

Brian

Isn't it funny that you are sceptical about climate change and I'm not,
while I'm sceptical about such "breakthroughs" and you do not appear to
be? :-)