ENVIRONET Archives

October 2004

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:07:03 +0300
Surely this should be moved to the EnviroNet server, as it has moved the
emphasis from LF to the environment more generally? Perhaps you are now
aware of EnviroNet? It's at [log in to unmask] and you can join and leave
it, just like any other IPC netlist.

Having worked for over 20 years on the ozone depletion issue, at a
scientific level and also, over the last ten years on climate change, at
national and international levels, including the UN, I'm quite willing
to discuss these problems on that forum, if any believers in Lomborg
really want to argue the toss. However, there is a new spectre looming
before us, not exactly environmental but which will have a secondary
effect on us all. The most serious predictions suggest that we shall
reach global Peak Oil production as early as 2008. As we approach Peak,
the prices will rocket and $100/bbl is forecast for within 18-24 months
and $200 - 250/bbl by 2010 (several sources agree on this estimation,
give or take an ounce or two, including oil companies, Deutsche Bank).
The economic aspects of this will force the issue with wide impacts on
the environment.

If you wish to know more about my views, I've written a series of
controversial essays, largely within the context of the small island on
which I live, at http://www.cypenv.org/

I request that if you wish to continue along these lines, please do it
at EnviroNet, a copy of this message being sent there. Thanks.

Brian