ENVIRONET Archives

June 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
"Kane, Joseph E (US SSA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Kane, Joseph E (US SSA)
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:42:41 -0400
Countries with nuclear power plants do not necessarily need to
enrich their own fuel, and most do not.  They farm it out, because
of the investment in people and resources, and the economies of
scale.  I've heard it said that you would need about 20 plants
in operation to justify the business case.

So it's hard to explain why the Iranians would invest all of this
time and effort in enriching fuel, when they could be investing in the
actual power plants instead.  Especially when the Russians were
willing to give them a very good deal on the fuel, and they turned
them down flat.

So far from condemning the Iranians out of hand, it's pretty easy to
come to the conclusion that they want to use this technology to
develop a weapon.  Face it, sitting in their geopolitical shoes,
it makes a lot of sense.  Countries with nuclear weapons
don't get attacked by rival states (of course, non-state actors like
terrorists are another matter).

And many of us are not inclined to give the Iranians the benefit of
the doubt when they protest to the contrary, given various other public
pronouncements about wiping certain groups off the map.  Maybe
it's unfair, but too bad, we're getting way too much craziness
and bluster from these guys.

I would challenge the armchair diplomats out there who are
complaining about the clumsy handling of this issue to suggest
a better approach.  Before the US took this on, the Europeans
dithered with it for years, so maybe now it's time for EnviroNet to step
up.

-Joe