ENVIRONET Archives

April 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, MA/NY DDave <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:30:17 -0500
Hi Chuck, Harvey, EnViroNetrs,

<We don't have to agree whether Kerry was a hero or a villain in the Viet
Nam War Swift Boat episode.  But I think that you will agree that the art
of the Smear has been used as a tactical political weapon by some very
inferior candidates to win elections.>

Harvey, I agree, yet not with the word inferior candidates.  Thomas Jefferson
(Number 3) hired a smear publicity person that smeared John Adams. John
Adams was a firebrand, with a temper, and later in life letters between the
two older men showed that Adams was right where Jefferson's team had
smeared him on items like Adams not starting a war as sign of weakness rather
than smarts.

<We don't have to agree on Al Gore's honesty. But perhaps we may agree that
"Global Warming Swindle" argument is being used to smear him.>

I don't remember seeing, and for sure not hearing, the term "GW Swindle"
anyplace so I will keep looking.

It's not his honesty or dis-honesty (as Chuck wrote) that bothers me so much.
It is Al's hype and over the top showing of the information and how he
politicizes his act now as Dems vs GOP.  On thinking about his movie, and
testimony I guess I would have to agree with Chuck that some of his
information and hype can be darn dishonest.  Gee can I be a politican since I
agree with both of you. Any babies for me to kiss.

The problem with his hype is: (sustained performance to match the hype).
Think the shepard boy story of saying Wolf Wolf too many times.

In (performance vs expectation) drawn on an axes system one learns that
performance should always beat expectations (the 4th quadrant). When it
does the customer, client, whomever is pleased and wants to buy or have
more. The 1st quadrant is acceptable yet not as good as the 4th. When
performance falls below expectation the customer is dissatisfied first a smidgen
and the in Quadrant 4 completely and will move on.  What is interesting is that
the absolute level of performance isn't too important. Which means a poor
performer can gain more clients. It is the relationship between the two that is
the important human factor.

Anway, I think Al and others are raising expectations so high it's going to be
difficult to have weather to match.

Yours in Engineering, MA/NY DDave