ENVIRONET Archives

June 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Pratap Singh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Pratap Singh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:10:33 -0500
Gordon,

CNW marketing did not disclose the source of their funding and or the
sponsor(s) of their research.  Also reading the Consumer Reports data on
auto reliability and durability for the last 20 years, it is clear that
Japanese makes outlast American made cars. In other words 'Expected Life
Miles' for Japanese cars is higher than American Cars.

My own experience with Japanese cars (Toyota Tercel, Mitsubishi Galant, and
each lasting > 200,000 miles) has been good when compared to (Ford Econoline
Van, GM Oldsmobile Cutlass, and each lasting < 120,000 miles). This is based
on average driving of 15K miles/year that is cars were driven 13 years
(imports) vs. 8 years (domestics).

My question is based on Consumer Reports data and own driving experience
with both domestic and imported cars.

Being in the Reliability field, I welcome all opinions (true, false, absurd,
half truths....) but make decisions on valid data and analysis and stated
assumptions. It is also well known that Statistics (valid data) do not lie;
it is the liars who twist statistics (data) to support their agenda. When
one looks at the data stated in Table (pages 28- 32), it is obvious the
'Expected life miles' of Japanese cars is lower than American makes in most
of the classes..... hmmm!! What gives? May be some person has an explanation
of this statistics. Have a good day.

pratap singh

Tel/Fax: 512-255-6820; Cell: 512-663-8903

email: [log in to unmask]

Pratap, Your response to the data presented is to challenge the motivation of the data providers, but not the data themselves. You are not the only one on this forum who has posted this kind of rebuttal. If you disagree with the data, please present data (or at least arguments) of your own, as has Brian. I have posted many challenges to environmental activists that assail their motives, but I present data to back up what I have to say, and ask that readers decide on the basis of the facts I present. Often what I have to say is that the activists have no data, so I am somewhat sensitive to unsupported claims - by anyone. Consider the situation for those who believe that their point of view is not getting heard. How are they supposed to get it heard, if their motives are going to be impugned, implying that it doesn't matter what they have to say, since they are obviously biased and "have an agenda"? Following your example, I will question your motive for your challenging their motive. Do you want people who have something to say that you disagree with to not have an opportunity to get it heard? Do you hope that claiming that they "have an agenda" will cause the undecided to ignore them, lest they be misled? Are you angry at Steve Gregory for bringing this story to our attention?   Gordon Davy