ENVIRONET Archives

April 2007

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Harvey Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 13:00:18 -0700
Chuck Dolci--

I was not precise enough.

The reference to medical bills was in context of the Iraq War.  As a user
of V.A. medical services, I can tell you that the system is strained.  The
damage done to minds and bodies will take billions to address.  Estimates
have been made if you care to google.

Infrastructure refers to estimates for sewers, bridges, city utilities,
electric grid, etc.  I've seen expert estimates of need for 1 trillion $--
can be googled.  I'm not talking about my or your subjective experiences
with this or that highway.

But that trillion $ that the Iraq War will end up costing could have paid
down the National Debt as well.

The reference to political power shifts had nothing to do with producers
or users of energy.  In a capitalist democracy such as the U.S., some are
more equal than others.  Election campaigns require $$$$$$$.  So naturally
elites are going to have more influence.  I'm not saying that is bad.  All
I'm talking about is determination of policy. Why has Bush favored the
energy companies, why did he invade Iraq?  I think it's obvious.  A shift
to technology company political pre-eminence will lead to technology
investments and a climate for encouraging innovation-- including renewable
energy.

Harvey Miller