ENVIRONET Archives

December 2004

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:00:47 +0200
The purpose of environmental protection is to protect the environment.
Jobs should have nothing to do with it, whether positive or negative,
or, for that matter any other economical factor, within reason. If it
costs what it takes, then it costs just that. The only times the economy
should play a role are a) where there ia choice between two solutions of
equal environmental merit and b) where the cost of reducing emissions is
totally unreasonable with respect to the potential damage caused. I
agree that b) is very arbitrary but one example, in the latest REACH
proposal, is an exemption for a substance that is produced in minimal
quantities (I think the limit is now 10 kg) and whose molecule is
unlikely to be dangerous from modelling (free interpretation). As the
registering process is expected to cost €30,000 to €200,000 per
substance, you can see the idea that the cost is secondary.

If we take the case of recycling aluminium, for example, the recycled
metal costs about 1/5th the cost of virgin metal, mostly saving on
energy. But the bauxite and fluorspar miners, the transporters, the
smelters and so on would prefer you use only virgin metal, even though
their operations are all highly polluting. So this is a case where it is
obviously advantageous to recycle, economically and environmentally, at
the cost of jobs.

I would not say that all recycling is environmentally positive, but 99%
of the cases are, as a guess. Let me cite a concrete example from our
industry to illustrate this thesis. A company washing PCB Assemblies
recycles the water by passing it through a mixed bed DI column. When the
column is exhausted, it is replaced by a fresh one and sent to the
manufacturer for regeneration. He is not to know that it has lead and
other heavy metal cations sequestered in it (he would assume that it had
been used to deionise tap water, like most of the columns he receives
back). The cation exchange resins are regenerated with hydrochloric acid
which will release the heavy metals. During the subsequent rinse, the
waste water will go to drain, lead and other metals included. There are
two ways to avoid this potentially damaging problem: 1. have the resins
treated separately or 2. burn the resins in a cement kiln, so that the
metal ashes are finally imprisoned in concrete. Both of these obviously
entail an increase of costs.

Obviously, you are right that transporting waste for recycling involves
emissions, but so does transporting the raw materials for virgin
materials, often far more. I believe you are in the USA. Just think of
all the minerals, including oil, that are imported into your country to
make manufactured goods. For example, you import 11 million tonnes of
iron ore (mostly from Brazil). The entailed pollution from transporting
this is far higher than transporting the equivalent 9 million tonnes of
used steel, even from CA to PA. China is expected to import 200 million
tonnes of iron ore (mostly from Australia), in addition to 340 million
tonnes of domestic ore, this year, but they don't have a large reservoir
of steel to recycle, like you do (they have only about 19 million tonnes
p.a.). In fact, China imports about 11 million tonnes of scrap iron and
steel per year! The global total of recycled steel is 400 million
tonnes, which is roughly equal to the steel resulting from the 500
million tonnes of ore that is mined, in metal content. It is therefore
clear that, if a low-cost metal like iron and steel can be economically
and environmentally recycled to this 50% extent, then so can many other
materials.

If we take commodities like oil and natural gas, where the exploitable
quantities are becoming limited and are likely to diminish to very small
quantities within decades, it behoves us to economise on the use of
virgin materials so as to spin our resources out for as long a period as
possible, no matter the economical and employment costs. That is why I
don't mind used deep fryer oil being added to diesel fuel, rather than
dumped in a landfill, even if it means one Saudi Arabian less being
employed and one member of a tanker crew. It may mean one American being
employed instead, filtering the collected oil.

Brian