ENVIRONET Archives

July 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Des Gayler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, Des Gayler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:25:08 +0100
The quote is actually from Lord Kelvin, a century or so after Newton:

"In physical science the first essential step in the direction of
learning any subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and
practicable methods for measuring some quality connected with it. I
often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and
express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot
measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of
a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge,
but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to the state of Science,
whatever the matter may be." [PLA, vol. 1, "Electrical Units of
Measurement", 1883-05-03]

Desmond Gayler BEng(Hons) MIET
QA Manager - Timeguard Ltd

Logo Image

This e-mail and any files attached are strictly confidential, may be
legally privileged and are intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, note that any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or use of the contents of this message and attachments is
strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and
delete the e-mail and any attachments immediately. Any views or opinions
presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of Timeguard Ltd.  Although Timeguard operates automated
anti-virus programes, it does not accept  responsibility for any damage
that is caused by viruses.