ENVIRONET Archives

July 2006

EnviroNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Joe Fjelstad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Environmental Issues <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:55:21 EDT
Hi Dave,

You may well be right that there will be deathbed conversions should it  come
to that. Nothing like a life and death crisis to snap folks to attention.
Still, though, the selfish gene is a very strong one and hard to
overcome/override, especially for the financially privileged. From what I  have seen as a
group the very well off tend not to give much care  about anything but their own
comfort, pleasure and protection,  fortunately their are also many exceptions
to give one hope.

Yes, there are more than twice the number of folks on the planet than when  I
may my debut. However, I note that population is growing some places and
shrinking in others. In well educated countries it is stabilizing or going
negative (factoring out immigration into those countries).

Education still seems to me to be the greatest factor in the  future success
of the planet. Then one must hope then that a measure of  fundamental "golden
rule" morality finds a toehold. (that is the older  version of the golden rule
not the modern one... ;-)

I am reminded here of Ghandi's advise: "Live simply so that others can
simply live"

Very best,
Joe