EMBEDDEDNET Archives

June 2004

EmbeddedNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Richard Ulrich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D-37 Sub-Committee Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Richard Ulrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:08:17 -0500
Kim -

The terminals are a significant heat sink for embedded resistors, but
they can be in second place because of area considerations.  Imagine
that you lengthen an embedded resistor, keeping the width and the total
power the same.  Nothing changes with the terminals - they keep their
same Cu and contact geometry.  But, the resistor has more FR4 in
contact with it along its length until this becomes the dominant heat
transfer mechanism.  Yes, Cu is the better conductor by far, but it can
have a very small share of the contact area, and just on the very ends.

That trimming effect is interesting.  Do you guys try to do this when
you trim?

- Rick

On Jun 23, 2004, at 7:53 PM, Kim Fjeldsted wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Good summary of a poorly discussed area.
>
> For the long thin resistors to have better thermal dissipation, doesn't
> this imply that the FR4 has better heat conduction (and heat capacity)
> than the Cu terminals?  I had seen some modeling studies that showed
> significant thermal transfer at the terminals (Clouser, IPC EXPO'03?),
> to a point where trim cuts close to the terminals do not create hot
> spots.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Kim Fjeldsted
> 503.671.5218  Office