EMBEDDEDNET Archives

January 2004

EmbeddedNet@IPC.ORG

From:
Dennis Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D-37 Sub-Committee Forum <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:12:13 -0600
 A combined state space formulation/equivalent circuit and neural network
technique for modeling of embedded passives in     multilayer printed
circuits

 [IMAGE]

Ding, X.;  Xu, J. J.;  Yagoub, M. C. E.;  Zhang QJ

JOURNAL NAME- Applied Computational      Electromagnetics Society Journal

ABBREVIATED JOURNAL      TITLE- Appl. Comput. Electromagn. Soc. J. (USA)

VOL. 18
NO. 2
July        2003
PP. 89-97
20                    reference(s)
DOCUMENT TYPE- Journal paper
ISSN- 1054-4887
CODEN-              ACEJEX
CORPORATE AUTHOR- Dept. of Electron.,          Carleton Univ., Ottawa,
Ont., Canada
COPYRIGHT OF         BIBLIOGRAPHIC- Copyright 2004, IEE
PUBLISHER-     Appl. Comput. Electromagnetics Soc
PUBLICATION            COUNTRY- USA
S I C I-                             1054-4887(200307)18:2L.89:CSSF;1-5

LANGUAGE- English  (DEF)

In this paper, we present a new approach for modeling the high-frequency
effects of embedded passives in multilayer printed circuits,   utilizing
state space equations or equivalent circuit together with neural network
techniques. In this approach, the neural network based model structure is
trained using full wave electromagnetic (EM) data. The           resulting
embedded passive models are accurate and fast, can be used in both
frequency/time domain simulators. Examples of embedded resistor and
capacitor models demonstrate that the combined model can accurately
represent EM behavior in microwave/RF circuit design. In high-level
circuit   design, we applied our combined EM based neural models for
signal integrity   analysis and design of multilayer circuit to illustrate
that the geometrical  parameters can be continuously adjusted by using
neural network techniques.   Optimization and Monte Carlo analysis are
performed showing that the          combined models can be efficiently
used in place of computationally           intensive EM models of embedded
passives to speed up circuit design.