DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 1999

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Landman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 13:31:42 -0500
Yes,  and it isn't nice to fool with Mother Nature.  I got nailed
between finger and elbow at 25KV from a huge capacitor bank supplying
a hydrogen thyratron switch tube - OWWWW.  I was reaching into the
wire cage and shame on me, I didn't have the ground strap on the bus.
I knew better .001 second later.

Oh, and having a screwdriver in your hand in the vicinity of the neck
of a CRT is another no-no.  The anode and the glass envelope is quite
a nice Leyden jar!  Those CRTs stay charged up a long time, esp. the
big old metal jacketed color tubes.

My hand was numb for quite a while on that one.

ICs are for wimps!

Bob