DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Kitty Hines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:37:02 -0600
I've used a similar LED on designs, but had to modify the footprint per
the Fabricators' capability.  Spaced the pads out a bit further and
reduced the size of the hole a bit so there is sufficient clearance for
them, 13mil.
Try a compromise, maybe?

Kitty Hines
The Chamberlain Group, Inc.
(630)516-6655

Pete <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
12/19/2012 08:56 AM
Please respond to
"(Designers Council Forum)" <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Pete    <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [DC] Micro-modification fab drawing note

This is why we work with only a few vendors, as business partners, rather
than just brokering out for the cheapest price.  Our vendors know not to
make artwork changes without asking.  Any quality vendor should know to do
that.  I'm not sure that should supplant a note, however, but we've never
needed one.  That's one of the advantages of developing a relationship
with a vendor, rather than just buying stuff from people.  (It took me
years to get our purchasing group to that).  On a 3 day or less turn, my
vendors know they can call me off hours.  For production turns, I get a
list of questions, suggestions, clarifications on every board.  Some times
it's the same question every time, but we have a record (those are getting
taken care of in our new notes).  I did consider a "No mods" note as parft
of our new notes, but that doesn't make sense.  Doesn't the drawing and
CAM files already say "make it just like this".   Why else would we bother
with documentation in the first place?

What I have seen during new vendor qualification, or the occasional
off-list procurement, is pad shaving in tight areas, with the reason that
their process doesn't allow them to guarantee 5/5 finished spacing without
making more space between copper.  Well then, obviously you can't make our
boards.  I know someone who can.

Pete

To temporarily stop/(restart) delivery of DesignerCouncil send: SET
DesignerCouncil NOMAIL/(MAIL)
For additional information, or contact Keach Sasamori at [log in to unmask] or