DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

February 2014

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
Robert Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:19:04 -0500
Guess what, Electronic Design Mag just sent me a link to a white paper by VersaLogic
Entitled "Utra Reliable Embedded Computing"
I did not read it yet to determine if there is any real info here but here is a description of what it's about
I assume you can web search this also to get at the white paper if I helps. Not sure I can send this link thru DC forum?

Companies using rugged, extended temperature Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS) embedded computers often specify products designed and manufactured to IPC Class 3 requirements. IPC Class 3 requirements are intended to ensure the reliability of electronic products in the most demanding environments. However, with the advent of high density fine-pitch BGA (Ball Grid Array Array) packages, new design and manufacturing challenges arise in meeting IPC Class 3 requirements; at the same time, fully meeting IPC Class 3 requirements is no longer always consistent with providing the most reliable products possible.
This paper describes the challenges faced in meeting Class 3 requirements on PCBs with Fine-pitch BGA packages and provides an overview of a multi-faceted approach to producing ultra-reliable embedded computers.