DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2012

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 08:56:04 -0600
This is why we work with only a few vendors, as business partners, rather than just brokering out for the cheapest price.  Our vendors know not to make artwork changes without asking.  Any quality vendor should know to do that.  I'm not sure that should supplant a note, however, but we've never needed one.  That's one of the advantages of developing a relationship with a vendor, rather than just buying stuff from people.  (It took me years to get our purchasing group to that).  On a 3 day or less turn, my vendors know they can call me off hours.  For production turns, I get a list of questions, suggestions, clarifications on every board.  Some times it's the same question every time, but we have a record (those are getting taken care of in our new notes).  I did consider a "No mods" note as parft of our new notes, but that doesn't make sense.  Doesn't the drawing and CAM files already say "make it just like this".   Why else would we bother with documentation in the first place?

What I have seen during new vendor qualification, or the occasional off-list procurement, is pad shaving in tight areas, with the reason that their process doesn't allow them to guarantee 5/5 finished spacing without making more space between copper.  Well then, obviously you can't make our boards.  I know someone who can.

Pete