DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

January 2004

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:19:48 -0800
I helped build the shop we had in Vista, in fact I think Chuck Tex of Tex
Engineering was doing the same thing in San Diego back then...but he had
more money to work with than my dad did. We got technical help from Tony
Jaime at Burrows Corp. when we got started and Jim Gering of Swan
Electronics to help manufacture boards.. There were some big orders that
nearly sunk us for under bidding them... but most of the work we did,
including the design work I was doing, was in short run proto's.

My summers were spent in a 'Quonset hut' (a corrugated steel covered half
pipe shaped building) that housed our messy processes like the Hydro
Squeegee and the high speed router and drilling operations... My best friend
in high school worked with me drilling boards by hand looking though a
magnifying glass at boards that were pinned 3 high and we put a piece of
masking tape to make a 'flag' on the drill to spin and blow the white
epoxy/glass 'chips' away... We turned up the radio loud and played Beatles
songs and Beach boys caste tapes ... oh well those were the days.. We looked
like two High school kids masquerading as snow men.

Trichloroethylene was used in open containers... the fumes , the etchant,
Ammonium Persulfate, Mercuric chloride, and concentrated Ammonia for
stripping the ink from the boards...The Dark room for developing the
orthographic films, and no EPA to answer to...or OSHA...

Kind of like the 'Wild West' of PCB manufacturing... :)

- Bill Brooks