DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

July 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Johnson, Joseph SEA" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:11:58 -0400
 In my design practice I have always used smaller traces than what the
pad size is.  However the biggest thing that you have to remember is....
If you do it on one side of the part do the same thing on the other side
of the part so that when the solder paste reflows the part will not be
pulled off the smaller traced pad.  The solder mask in this case acts
like a solder damm and if you have a very wide trace on one side and a
small trace on the other side when reflow occurs the part itself wants
to swim around on its new molten pool.  Where ever the majority of the
solder flows is where the part will come to rest.  So to keep the part
centered put the same size trace on both sides of the part or balance
the part.

        I agree with everything that has been said in this thread....
Everyone has made good points.  However in power supply design there has
been occasions that I have had SMT parts with no thermal relief in the
pad at all.  Yes, for rework you have to get out a blow torch, but the
design you are doing may dictate such design practices.

        To make your engineer happy, just place the same size trace on
both sides of your 0805 and neck down from the via to your QFP for power
traces.   For Signal traces you might what to use the argument that more
copper will give him more resistance and actually will cause more
impedance to the rise time on his circuit.  This may cause him to
rethink his request.  Sometimes if you talk their language you can get
your point across without having to use other drastic measures.  ;-)

        Joe J. - C.I.D.