DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

October 2000

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

DesignerCouncil E-Mail Forum.
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 07:36:43 -0700
"Schwartz, Jerome" wrote:

> All,
>
>          What certifications, besides UL,
> might be needed for a commercial product targeted specifically
> to the visually impaired ?

Does it have any sort of processor in it or any frequencies
above 7 kHz?  Then it will need to pass FCC.

What markets are you going to sell to US, Europe, Korea,
Mexico, Taiwan, ...?  Korea and Mexico do not recognize
any testing outside their own countries and the product
will have to be sent there to be tested.  To gain approval
in Mexico, you'll need someone who has a Mexican tax ID
number to sign for the products paperwork at the lab
which I believe is located in Mexico City.

Selling into Europe is a self declaration route but you'll
have to think about testing for safety (UL style testing),
emissions (FCC style testing), and immunity.  Immunity
testing is unique to Europe.

Get a hold of a well known lab in your area to get more
information.

What state are you in?

- Doug