DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

1996

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
[log in to unmask] (Robert L Myers)
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 96 09:45 PDT
It may not be TCAD, but one approach in use today in process simulation for
PCBs is giving PCB designers access to manufacturing production software to
simulate the assembly process and avoid design-related assembly errors.

All the software used to program assembly lines is integrated into one
data-driven process. The software that drives automated assembly will
indicate any problems the assembly line will have with a layout.

PCB designers can remotely log on and execute the manufacturing software
against a design in progress. If a designer's workstation can emulate an X
terminal, the results of the production software working on the design are
seen graphically.

A major weakness of PCB CAD systems checking against assembly rules stored
internally is that the current assembly rules may be constantly changing,
and the rules being checked against are not the rules in effect. Using the
same software being used for production is the most accurate DFM possible.

Our web site at http://www.hway.net/omni has more details.

>Designers,
>
>In case you haven't figured it out yet, I am catching up on my emails.
>This is another question with which you may have some experience.
>
>Please send answers to address below.

>Lisa M. Williams
>Technical Staff
>IPC
>2215 Sanders Road
>Northbrook, IL 60062
>phone: (847) 509-9700 x 379
>fax:   (847) 509-9798
>email: [log in to unmask]

>Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 16:48:55 PST
>From:[log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: TCAD in Printed Circuit Industry
>

>Technology Computer Aided Design (TCAD) software tools are jumping over
>hurdles towards greater use in semiconductor manufacturing.  Development
>of process simulation software such as SUPREM and PISCES has reduced some
>of the physical experimentation used to characterize and improve processes
>in the fab due to its cost-saving nature.
>
>Is there any TCAD process simulation software available and being
>applied in today's printed circuit industry ?
>

>Nora Xiao
>Tektronix, Inc.

Regards,

Robert L. Myers